Monday, November 2, 2009

folding kk preflop

after reading harrington on holdem i learned that when you have kk the chances of an opponent at your table holding aa was approx 23 to 1....this made me think i would never fold kk preflop. In online tournaments i doubt i ever will. I have recently moved to cash games stemming from a long drought in tournament cashes. I like to switch back and forth now to keep myself interested and i am still not making enough money in the cash games to live on. However my cash game has gotten much better and i feel that i have a better handle on the way i should play certain situations. Most of these adjustments are to take things slower get deeper in hands and make more crucial decisions later in hands with more information available. Mistakes made in cash or magnified whereas in tournaments you can rarely make a large mistake while short stacked. Lots of times i can just write off a bad play and blame it on my chip position, or calling it a cold deck, when you have a10 in the bb with 10 bb's and the sb shoves after it folds around to him you call quickly and he shows aq....cold deck hahahha...the coldness is directly resulting from your chip position. In cash i am starting to learn how to take it easy. At first it was just with playing medium overpairs like 1010 on a 862 flop...then it was qq preflop after a raise and a call......i had started to change my game a lot after seeing a couple of $200 stacks quickly lost by raising in pos being 3bet by an active player and putting it all in and saying well i am ahead of his range there because he knows il raise in pos super wide blah blah blah....there is no harm in smooth calling...not often will that opponent fire pot on the flop and pot on the turn again with an overpair and you have to decide if its jj or kk and you have the qq.....with both those hands he will most likely pot control check the turn. If he is bluffing then the second barrel is less likely aswell. i havent seen any cash regulars at my level successfully bluffing 50 bb's on the regular. Sometimes i will pay off a turn follo with qq or jj on all unders board but most of the time i am wrong when i do it and i think i will get away from those hands earlier as i get better and more accustomed to cash. I found playing in the double stack tables has also helped me avoid making bad plays based on stack size...even 100 bb's sometimes makes me play poorly. I will 3bet a pos raiser with 46c and flop k62...and all of a sudden i have 12 bb's in preflop and 20bb's on flop....things get carried away quickly so i stick to my double stack 200bbs works for now. So the next hand comes up in a 1-2 double stack table on sunday. (right now 50-1 during the week and 1-2 on prime toad hours) My stack up to 440 from original 400 A tight player in 3hole raises pot to 7$ and an active but not crazy player in mid pos rases to 21 total with 380 back. I have 2 kings in the small blind. I thought for a couple seconds about calling and seeing a flop but i felt kk were such a high pair that i could easily pay this guy off on 3 streets never knowing if it were aa or qq. Given that the pot was already getting big i knew these payoffs could easily be half my stack. Especially out of pos he could feel comfortable i wouldnt check a set 3 times put me on a big pair and value me to death on river. This was looking like a bad play in my eyes, because of the sizing if i call 3 bets we are looking at 30 on flop 70 on turn 130 on river or something like that. of course many boards would include an ace or flush draw that could slow things down but i still thought it was best to raise now. I almost never say raise to see where you stand because it is stupid to build a pot while you dont know where you are at but in this case i knew it was the right move. His range of 3betting that tight initial raiser was not wide. I also was pretty sure he would never smooth call aa after my 4bet adn would never shove 400$ with qq. I rerased to 54 total and the action folds to him. he waits for 12-15 seconds just before using his time bank and he shoves for 380 he had left. Givin the action of a tight original raser his 3bet my small 4bet i knew he would never have qq here and i tanked..wrote has to be aa right? and then folded. The tank wasnt even really to think it was more to sell that i actually was folding a big hand. If i folded as fast as i wanted to it would look like i was on a pure ridiculous steal, which i guess could have got me action but i think my game gets me enough action as it is. This was the first time i folded kk preflop. Probably cause i play mostly tournaments but still not super fun. The part i like is that cash is allowing me to make all the good poker plays i know i am capable of and i avoid using my stack size as a crutch. For now it is just a side experiment because i have only made about 1500 a month at the 50-1 level. It also i think has helped my early tournament game, i broke my bad streak with a hu mtt win for 1600 and a fifth place finish in an mtt the same day, so now i need to find more hours in the day. i wonder if it would fuck up my game to play the slate every night along with a few cash games early in my slate i would still have 6 tables going then later i would exit out of them as my night got more busy...something to try....hopefully i cash move to 1-2 soon and then 2-4 .

1 comment:

  1. Forgot to mention that I love this post. Exactly the type of ish we need to read. I totally agree about your full slate idea not being the best thing. maybe just do like some of the pros. play cash all week and just the big stuff on sundays. you can totally freeroll your way to a big dirty cash.

    ReplyDelete